Monday, July 24, 2017

Review: A Tale Dark & Grimm

A Tale Dark & Grimm A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

In this mischievous and utterly original debut, Hansel and Gretel walk out of their own story and into eight other classic Grimm-inspired tales. As readers follow the siblings through a forest brimming with menacing foes, they learn the true story behind (and beyond) the bread crumbs, edible houses, and outwitted witches.
Fairy tales have never been more irreverent or subversive as Hansel and Gretel learn to take charge of their destinies and become the clever architects of their own happily ever after.



My Thoughts:


This book is certainly interesting. It starts before Hansel & Gretel are born and continues thru their lives. Of course their lives are a bit crazy. Be prepared for be-headings, some crazy parents, a trip somewhere you don't want to visit and more. Oh and despite there being several fairy tales in this book, none of them really end. There is always more to the story. In fact, the reader is reminded continuously to make their children leave the room before continuing the stories. Did I enjoy the stories? Of course I did. They are twisted but they make you want to know what happens next. I didn't care much for the King (who is shallow) and the Queen (who is a gold-digger) or some of the other characters in the stories. I liked how the stories were linked and how they kept the reader enthralled. I loved how cunning Hansel & Gretel are. Some of my favorite parts are how Hansel got the golden hairs and of course the drunk dragon (that part made me smile). Overall, I loved the book and was rooting for Hansel & Gretel to find their HEA.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment