Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Review: Valkyrie's Harem

Valkyrie's Harem (Academy of Immortals, #1)Valkyrie's Harem by Angel Lawson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Synopsis:
The gods demand that the Guardians fight in a new battle. The Guardians, however, are hesitant to leave Morgan. The Legion of Immortals volunteer to go in their place and Hildi is sent to lead them because they are feral and not trusted to think clearly.


My Thoughts:
Where do I start? For a book called Valkyrie's Harem, where is her harem? Harems usually require a decision to have a relationship with more than one person at a time. She can't decide which of the guys she wants or if she wants any at all. She hasn't decided to have a relationship with anyone. One guy she decided she isn't going to even have sex with any more and another was only used to get the venom out of her system. Neither of these non-relationships equals a harem.

They are sent to start the crusades and end up at an academy. Why? What is the point? No real action other than a couple quickies and going to class. Then at the very end of the book there is a little bit of action but it is quickly resolved. No build up or failures along the way as they stumble to figure things out. Then they get to decide who is in charge... again and it ends. Seriously? So what now? Does her non existent harem shrink a little? Do they fight amongst themselves like idiots? I am not sure that I am interested any more. I can't even say I care enough about the characters to want to see what happens next.

This is what I like to call a jumbled mess. I think the concept was there but details and setting are important. You need character building and world building. Just saying a character is feral doesn't make it so. You need to show that character being feral. Details, details, details. This was a fail for me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment