Thursday, December 28, 2017

Review: Shock of Fate

Shock of Fate Shock of Fate by D.L. Armillei
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

Vanessa Cross has never traveled anywhere by magical tree trunk. She’s never used a wish-fulfilling bowl to create lunch, befriended gnomes, or confronted a troll. Her plans for summer break include lazing on the beach, shopping, and hitting the beauty salon—her usual way of coping with a hypercritical stepmother and an aloof father. 

Yet fifteen-year-old Van’s hopes for summer fun drastically change when she is coerced through a portal to an alternate reality called the Living World. Once there, she discovers the only way to get home is by retrieving a relic called the Coin of Creation. 

Along the way, Van not only meets new friends, experiences her first love, and learns about the magic in life, but finds that a great destiny awaits her . . . if she can survive the treacherous journey.


My Thoughts:

Cover/Title: The cover is ok but doesn't really draw me in. The title doesn't do the book justice as it really gives the reader no insight into the story.

Characters: Van is kind of superficial and has a lot of growing up to do. She is definitely not my favorite heroine at all. Her best friend is also very superficial. Some of the other characters are ok. I did like that you got a lot of background info on the MC. I just didn't like her much despite all the insight into her and her life.

Plot: This book is full of adventure. I loved the magic thrown in and the world building is definitely well done. I think my favorite part might have to be the Minotaur. I really loved his story and how he got into his predicament.

Overall: I enjoyed this story despite not liking the MC very much. If the MC had been more likable, I think the story would have been so much better. However, it was not a bad story and I enjoyed the adventure.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment