Sunday, December 10, 2017

Review: Boogie House

Boogie House Boogie House by T. Blake Braddy
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Synopsis:


Back in the days when Blind Lemon Jefferson walked the Earth, the Boogie House was a place where African-Americans could hide away on Friday and Saturday nights without being hassled by the white majority of Lumber Junction. Now it’s a rotten, hollowed out shell of a building, the kind of place where murderers dump their victims. 

But that might not be all. When Rolson McKane stumbles onto a savage crime scene in the abandoned juke joint, he’s surprised the old place hasn’t been torn down. He’s even more surprised when the long-dead patrons get up and start partying in the middle of the night. 

Rolson McKane is no stranger to misery, but the shock of realizing the supernatural is real might just be too much for him. Don’t get him wrong: he’s been haunted his whole life, just not by ghosts. The son of a son of a long line of drunks, he’s managed to amass a whole house full of demons, and they’ve destroyed just about everything: his marriage, his job as a local cop, his fleeting good sense. 

Now that he’s no longer an officer of the law, Rolson has finally decided to do some actual police work. No one seems to be interested in the murder of Emmitt Laveau, save for Rolson himself, and his only allies are his bail bondsman, the woman he nearly killed, and the dead man who visits his dreams.



My Thoughts:



I picked up this book to read for a Goodreads challenge because I needed a book with a house on the cover. The problem with reviewing a book like this is that I had such a hard time getting into the story. I pushed forward thru the book in the hopes that it would pick up. Unfortunately, it just never did. The MC was always drunk so I really couldn't relate to him much. I really didn't care for any of the characters. The book isn't horrible but it simply didn't interest me. Overall, this book wasn't for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment