Friday, January 11, 2019

Review: Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells

Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells by Sarina Dorie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

Nerdy high school outcast, CLARISSA LAWRENCE, has always felt like she didn't belong in this world. More than anything, she wants magic to be real--and not just because she's obsessed with Harry Potter and tries to go to Narnia by reading fantasy novels in her wardrobe. 

Yet, when she stumbles upon real magic, and fairy tales come true, she doesn't expect to be the evil villain in her own story. Clarissa learns she's descended from an evil witch and is destined to kill her older sister. 

When she meets a cute boy who offers to train her in magic, she must make a choice. She can have a safe, normal life and no harm will come to anyone. Or she can choose magic and risk everything and everyone she loves in order to be what she's always known she was meant to be . . . a wicked witch. 

This is the first book in the WOMBY'S SCHOOL FOR WAYWARD WITCHES Series, but the first three books can be read in any order.


My Thoughts:

This was an interesting story of a young girl learning that she has powers that she can't control. First the series name is a bit misleading unless this book is to be considered a prequel. The school referenced is only mentioned a couple times and the characters do not attend it. I wasn't a fan of the mother. She kept lying to her daughters and made things worse. I loved all the references to books with stories of magic. I had a moment of deja vu as I read a scene that reminded me of "The Wizard of Oz". I believe it was intentional but I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book. Overall, an enjoyable way to pass some time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment