Monday, January 28, 2019

Review: A Portion of Dragon and Chips

A Portion of Dragon and Chips A Portion of Dragon and Chips by Simon Haynes
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

It's Game of Thrones meets Discworld ... 
"Laugh after laugh. One of the best books I’ve read in 2018 so far. Amazing, 5*" 

Welcome to the Old Kingdom! 
Clunk, an elderly robot, plunges into the sea off the Old Kingdom, and if he knew what was coming next he'd sit down on the ocean floor and wait for rescue. 

Dragged onto the beach, coughing up seaweed, salty water and stray pieces of jellyfish, he's taken to the nearby city of Chatter's Reach, where he's given a sword and told to fight the Queen's Champion, Sur Loyne. 

As if that wasn't bad enough, the locals still think the wheel is a pretty nifty idea, and Clunk's chances of finding spare parts - or his missing memory modules - are nil. 

Still, Clunk's an optimist, and he soon embarks on a perilous quest to find his way home. 

Unfortunately it's going to be a very tough ask, given the lack of charging points in the medieval kingdom... 

This is the first novel in a trilogy. Each book continues plot lines and character arcs from the previous title, with everything wrapping up in book three. They're not stand-alones! 

"An insane, inspired blend of high fantasy and low humour" 

The Robot vs Dragons trilogy: 
1. A Portion of Dragon and Chips 
2. A Butt of Heads 
3. A Pair of Nuts on the Throne 

These novels are set in the Hal Spacejock universe, but they're a stand-alone series. There's no need to read any of my other books to enjoy this series. 

My Thoughts:


This story really did not hold my interest. It started out really slow and doesn't improve much at all. I did find myself rolling my eyes at the names of the characters introduced. Sur Loyne, Sur Cumfrence & Sur Pryze to name a few of the odd names. Overall, I didn't really enjoy this book. It just wasn't for me, I guess. I will not be reading more of the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment