Monday, October 9, 2017

Review: Fire Country

Fire Country Fire Country by David Estes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

In a changed world where the sky bleeds red, winter is hotter than hell and full of sandstorms, and summer's even hotter with raging fires that roam the desert-like country, the Heaters manage to survive, barely.

Due to toxic air, life expectancies are so low the only way the tribe can survive is by forcing women to procreate when they turn sixteen and every three years thereafter. It is their duty as Bearers.

Fifteen-year-old Siena is a Youngling, soon to be a Bearer, when she starts hearing rumors of another tribe of all women, called the Wild Ones. They are known to kidnap Youngling girls before the Call, the ceremony in which Bearers are given a husband with whom to bear children with.

As the desert sands run out on her life's hourglass, Siena must uncover the truth about the Wild Ones while untangling the web of lies and deceit her father has masterfully spun.
 

My Thoughts:


This book drew me in quickly and I couldn't put it down. The people were interesting and society is not as we know it. The reader follows Siena on her journey as she realizes that things are not really the way she has been told all her life. I love how Siena is meek and quiet at the beginning but as she continues on her journey she changes. You see her become a strong, brave and independent woman. The ending was a bit different than I expected but I can't wait to see what happens in book 2.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment