Sunday, May 19, 2019

Review: The Fairy Tale Trap

The Fairy Tale Trap The Fairy Tale Trap by Emily Casey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Synopsis:

Ivy has always been afraid of mirrors, but she never knew why. Then one of them sucks her into the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast.

All she wants is to find her way home. But when she tries to escape, Ivy breaks the wrong spell. Now Beast is not so gentle-on-the-inside, Beauty is falling for the wrong prince, and Ivy is no closer to figuring out how to get through the enchanted forest that traps her.

With magic mirrors, dancing fairies, a sadistic pixie, and other random fairy tale twists, Ivy doesn’t know what’s safe or who to trust. Can she escape the fairy tale trap?
 

My Thoughts:

I love fairy tale retellings. However, this wasn't really a retelling. It was more of a fairy tale that is changed by a new character.

Ivy
I loved Ivy. She isn't willing to sit around and let fate play its hand. She is determined to make her own fate. She is smart, independent and strong.

the pixie
I found the pixie to be so much fun. He really is devious and just wants to shake things up. He found Ivy to be smart and strong and wanted to see how she fared in this fairy tale.

Beauty
I didn't care for Beauty as much in this book and that was ok. I think it worked. Her complacency infuriated Ivy and made her even more determined. She didn't have much of a backbone but she did have a kind heart.

the Beast
I really wish the beast had more input in this book. The reader doesn't really get to know much of his thoughts except thru his diary before the events of his story. I was curious if he lost all conscious thought or not after Ivy's first attempt to break the spell. The author kind of implied it but the reader gets no real insight into the beast's thoughts. Was he just thinking "Supper, yum yum" or was there any real thoughts?

Overall, a great twist on a classic fairy tale. I am definitely looking forward to book 2. Will the same pixie be causing more trouble? Will he choose a new character or is Ivy in for another fairy tale? I am so very intrigued and can't wait to read the next one.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment