Thursday, March 29, 2018

Review: Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades Jack of All Trades by Derek Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

It seems a dream job for Jack, a small builder in Forest Gate, when he gets the job to repair the summerhouse of a millionaire couple in Chigwell. The two months work will pay his debts, and give him space to sort out his personal demons. Except, the couple are at war, both having affairs, their marriage beyond salvage. The husband fires Jack, she takes him back on – and suddenly he is too involved with their scheming. Complicated further when he falls for her secretary. And when there’s a murder, using his tools as the weapon, Jack is prime suspect.


My Thoughts:

Cover/Title: The cover and title don't really do much to draw me in. The reason I read this book was because I had a challenge that I needed a character named Jack for. This book fit that challenge so I read it.

Characters: Jack seems a bit weak as far as MCs go. The other characters were ok aside from the couple that he worked for. They are basically destructive and get in the way of everyone's happiness, including their own.

Plot: Jack is off to a new construction job. His new employers treat him like a yo-yo and he doesn't know whether he is coming or going. Then a body is found and everyone is a suspect. Jack is determined to figure out who is responsible.

Overall: It is an ok book. I wasn't much of a fan of the characters. The mystery itself unravels at a decent pace. It isn't overly easy to solve the mystery but the evidence is there to figure it out. Overall, it is an ok mystery and a good way to spend an evening.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment