Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Review: Escaping the Demon's Trap

Escaping the Demon's Trap Escaping the Demon's Trap by Martha Woods
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

WARNING: This story contains seductive tales of the supernatural, heartbreaking sacrifices and hope of redemption.
Blurb Below:
Witty, clever and powerful, the elegant Princess Anastacia Juravinski is the strongest warrior in her kingdom and the protector of her realm. She was born into a Kingdom, where her realm and that of the Demonic realm clash. Hundreds of years ago, Anna’s ancestors found a way to trap the powers of the supernatural in tokens and give the holder special abilities. In order to protect her realm, Anna must hunt down and destroy Demon Tokens to ensure that their supernatural powers cannot be used against her kingdom.
Darien Matthews, short brown hair combed to the side and glistening steel blue eyes, was enrolled in an arts academy, hoping one of his younger siblings would have the interest to take over the family business. But when his parents both die in a horrible boat accident, Darien is forced to leave school and take over the family estate, as well as guardianship of his younger siblings. Upon hearing about her dear childhood friend Darien’s loss, Anna decides to tie a demon hunting mission with a long overdue visit.
Although, what Anna discovers on her trip, is game-changing. She must urgently bring the news back to her Kingdom. But this may mean Anna never see Darien again. She is forced to make a choice between her kingdom's safety and the person she loves. 
What will Anna do?

My Thoughts:

This review will be a bit different than most of my reviews. Mainly because it appears that there are 3 complete books by this author bundled in this ebook even though the synopsis doesn't even hint at other books being here. So I will have overall comments and comments for each book.

Overall: This author needs to hire someone to proofread her work. There are several reviews complaining about the grammar issues from at least a year or more ago. The author has ignored these comments and left the errors in the book. I found at least 6 errors in the first chapter. There are very few pages that go by without a glaringly obvious grammar error. I am quit reading quite a few times. She uses the wrong form of words or they are misspelled and the new spelling is a totally different word. For example, instead of the word "being", she uses "begin". Or other words, she doesn't add the proper ending for how they used in the sentence. For example: "What's happen?" instead of "What's happened?" or "What's happening?". If it wasn't on almost every page, it wouldn't be so bothersome. However, it is very often and she apparently doesn't read the reviews or cares that there are so many errors in her book.

Escaping the Demon's Trap
This book by itself is not bad. I would definitely give it a solid 3 stars... if there weren't so many grammar issues. I like the concept of this story. The tokens are definitely an interesting touch. The different types of creatures is also nice. I love when an author incorporates a wide variety of paranormal creatures. Anastasia's powers are certainly unique. This is definitely something I haven't read in other books and I applaud the author for being so creative with it. There is a book 2 to this book. I seriously doubt that I will read it. I think the story would be good but if it has any many grammar issues as this one, I would probably get irritated and stop reading. Who knows, maybe I will get curious and read it later.

The Vampire's Desire
Again, I find myself wondering why this author doesn't hire someone to check her work. This story is really good. I would give it 4 stars IF it wasn't for the constant grammar errors that distract me from the story. I love the idea of a vampire hunter and a vampire both being interested in a medium. This could make for a really good series but I know I won't read any more after this set because of the errors. There are way too many and the story becomes disjointed. It is a shame because the ideas and the story is there.

Mysteries of a Vampire
Once again, I find myself thinking that this is an interesting vampire story. A story of love and betrayal that still affects people later in time. The story line is interesting but the grammar makes me want stop reading. I think I am done reading books by this author. She needs an editor really badly. Until then, I am moving on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment