Monday, November 6, 2017

Review: The Witch's Mirror

The Witch's Mirror The Witch's Mirror by J.P. Hyzer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Synopsis:


When Emily's mother mysteriously disappears she goes to live with her Great Aunt Margaret. Strange phenomenon have surrounded Emily since birth. A dark power that she is struggling to control has begun to surface. When she finds a strange mirror in her great aunt's cellar Emily begins to realize that things aren't as they appear. It isn't long before she finds herself thrown into the middle of a six thousand year old war between witches.




My Thoughts:



This book is an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. That being said, there doesn't seem to be that one special thing to make it stand out. I didn't feel like I couldn't put it down or that I even wanted to read more when it was done. It was just missing something.
Let's start with the characters. I didn't really connect with the characters. They are ok but I feel like I didn't get to know them very well. Plus the relationships seem rushed or forced. Emily recognizes her aunt but doesn't really seem to have a relationship with her. Then she knows this boy for like 3 days and she trusts him completely and suddenly develops feelings. There is no buildup to this relationship.
There also seems to be a lack of world building. There is this whole other world on the other side of the mirror but there is only one paragraph saying that the field is the same as the one they just left. I would have liked to have learned a little bit about this strange new world that Emily has stepped into.
The story has the potential to be a great book but needs something more. Overall, it is an ok read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment