Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Review: Hollowmen

Hollowmen Hollowmen by Amanda Hocking
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

Hollowmen - the sequel to Hollowland....

After six months in the quarantine, Remy finds out things are much worse than she feared. Her plans to escape come with a heavy cost, and she realizes that zombies aren't the worst of her problems.

My Thoughts:

I read book 1 in 2015 and usually I don't need to reread a book to continue on with the series. Usually once I dig into the next book, it feels familiar and the previous comes flooding back. That didn't happen this time. I think it may be because some of the main characters from book 1 were not in book 2 (I had to go back to the synopsis and my previous review of book 1 to figure this out). They just moved on and didn't wait or try to get Remy out of there, I guess. This book just felt disjointed from book 1 in a way. Too many characters were removed from the story or had so little part in this book that it felt like a different story. I loved that Ripley was still around. Ripley was my favorite in book 1 and that at least didn't change.

As for the characters that were in this book, I didn't like General Clark so I was glad he didn't play a huge part. I was kinda of iffy on Daniels but he did redeem himself. I do have to agree with some of the other reviewers on the issue of the experimenting on Remy. I didn't understand what the doctor's purpose was. It didn't seem to line up with what the reasons given. Boden was also ok but what about Lazlo? Why the change there? Not sure how that will change things going forward in the series.

Overall, I think this book was enjoyable but the author axed too many characters at one time. It was almost unrecognizable as the same series. Will I read book 3? Probably. I do enjoy this author's work and I will give her a chance to redeem herself in book 3.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment