Monday, January 27, 2020

Series Review: The Elite Seven

The Elite Seven
Written By:
Ker Dukey
J.D. Hollyfield
Claire C. Riley
M.N. Forgy
K. Webster
Giana Darling

Series Rating: 4 of 5 stars


1. Lust (The Elite Seven, #1)Lust by Ker Dukey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

After suffering a heartbreaking loss, Rhett Masters is on a path of self-destruction. Then he finds a new goal in life: to become one of the Elite 7. His initiation task might just be more than he is willing to sacrifice.

My Thoughts:

This was an interesting start to the series. I am still curious about the Elite. The author doesn't give a lot of insight into the group. Only the seven are really seen in this book and they are all initiates. I found Rhett to be a walking contradiction. He plays it so tough but inside he is hurting. His story is so sad that the reader has to feel something for the poor guy. I am curious how being one of the Elite Seven is going to affect his budding relationship. I will probably read the others to see where they go. The fact that each book is written by a different author is interesting as well. I am curious how their different writing styles translates for each of the sins.




2. Pride (The Elite Seven, #2)Pride by J.D. Hollyfield
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

Having lost his parents at a young age, Mason Blackwell and his sister Evie grew up in the foster care system. Suddenly they are separated by lies and threats. One sent to prison to be tortured while the other is sent to her own private hell. Now they are reunited at college at the whim of others, being controlled by power and corruption. Mason is pride and he leads the Elite 7.

My Thoughts:
This book started off a little slow but I think it was intended for it to be so. You got to see how dreary and horrible Mason's life was. The reader gets more insight into what the Elite have control over. It makes you wonder if they can really ever get free from the Elite. Is anyone safe from them? I love that Mason, Megan, Evie and his friends try to fight back instead of just taking what is forced onto them. I am curious as to how it all goes and what horrible tasks the other guys have to do.



3. Wrath (The Elite Seven, #3)Wrath by Claire C. Riley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis:
Samuel Gunner and his twin sister Sabella were born as their mother took her last breath. Their father hated them from that day on. Their caretakers were cruel and they only had each other to rely on. Fueled by pain and hatred, Samuel takes the chance to join the Elite 7. Can he complete his initiation and keep those he loves safe?


My Thoughts:
These books make you want to cry for these guys. The suffering they go thru just comes off the pages. It is life at its darkest and deepest level. Wrath is suffering just like his fellow brothers. He finds relief with Patience but will it last? I love how sweet Patience is in contrast to how dark and dangerous Samuel is. I really disliked his father but he had some kind of change of heart that I didn't understand. All of a sudden, he seemed to give a damn. A bit late in the game but I find myself wondering why he changed. I am also curious about Sebastian and what he had to do. Obviously, he feels a lot of guilt over it. I am not usually a fan of dark stories like these. Somehow, I just can't seem to stop reading the series. The stories make me sad but maybe that is what I need today. A little bit of the harsh realities of life in the form of the Elite Seven.



My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Synopsis:
Sebastian Westbrook has looks, money and privilege but that isn't enough for him. In his quest to find a woman who will love him, he will do anything. How far will he go to get what he wants? Will he make it as one of the Elite? 

My Thoughts:
Ok, this one I was not as much of a fan of. Sebastian is kinda creepy and very stalkerish. However, I am not sure why the Elite have an issue with him. It seems to me that they allow all kinds of crazy perverted things to happen and they just help them cover it up. Sebastian was treated differently in this. They seem to be trying to distance him from the Elites. I am curious if the the other 6 guys know what he has really done. This seems like something that could tear the brotherhood apart and not help them escape the people now controlling them. This is my least favorite book of all of them so far. I am hoping the rest are better. 


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Synopsis:
Baxter Samuel Goddard V (AKA God) has everything money can buy. Even an exclusive invitation to the Elite 7. His initiation has an unexpected side effect and guilt is tearing him apart. Can he fix this and will the Elite allow him to?

My Thoughts:
This may be my favorite book of the series. God may be a spoiled rich boy but he knows that something is wrong with the Elite. He refuses to allow them to hurt those that he loves. I was surprised about his condition. I wasn't expecting it.

Lillian will not be missed but that was totally not how I expected them to deal with her. She did a lot of damage and seemed to be out of control.

I am still thinking that the Elite is not done with these guys. There is still more coming their way. Despite their handling of Lillian, the Elite aren't gonna let go of their control of things. There are also two of the seven that I need to read about. I am curious about their stories and if they can really get out from under the Elite's control for good.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Synopsis:
Rush Dempsey has nothing left in life to care about. Even his father thinks he is lazy. However, joining the Elite and getting his initiation task has lit a fire in him. Maybe he can rise above the title of Sloth...

My Thoughts:
One thing I really like about this series is that the books all take place during overlapping timelines. So each book builds on what the previous books set up. Things are finally wrapping up and the guys are seriously taking out members of the Elite... one by one. I like Rush because he is totally the opposite of his title. Sloth is supposed to be lazy but Rush is seriously motivated and the laziness seems to be on vacation in this book. Isabelle isn't quite what I expected her to be. I expected her to put up more of a fight when her father and the Elite reveal their plans for her. She just follows Rush and his plan with no real spunk of her own. She does attempt to grow a backbone later in the book but still seems to be a follower. Sabella's reappearance is quite the dramatic moment. I was happy to see that she got to have her say. Sebastian's punishment was a bit extreme but then again so were his actions. I am really not used to books that are so dark and full of evil like this. However, I am drawn to this series and I intend to finish it up. 


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Synopsis:
Micah Dixon is on a mission. Well maybe more than one. He has joined the Elite 7 but he has discovered corruption all around him. He is loyal to a fault and he is gonna protect those he cares about. He is Greed and he wants it all. 

My Thoughts:
Greed might be the sweetest of the guys and I totally didn't expect it. He had a lot of secrets but they were for all the right reasons so you can't help but love the guy. The series is now wrapped up nicely with all the lose ends taken care of. I was glad to see an ending that these guys deserved. Even Sabella was given a nice ending. The only person I felt didn't get the ending they deserved was Evie. Overall, this series was a never ending roller coaster of emotions. It was dark and gritty and showed all the evil in the world but it also showed love, friendship and loyalty. 



Overall:
Overall, I really enjoyed this dark series. There is a lot of corruption, lies and the darker side of humanity that is best unseen. I wrote the individual reviews after I finished each book so my reviews would be focused solely on the individual books and not as much the series. As you can probably tell, Greed & Gluttony were my favorite of the guys. Envy was my least favorite for obvious reasons. This series was very unique in they way it was done. Different authors and the stories run concurrently so the timelines overlap. It was a style that I really haven't seen done before and I enjoyed it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment