Sunday, September 30, 2018

Review: Soul Fire

Soul Fire Soul Fire by D.N. Erikson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

I never wanted to be an FBI consultant.
Too bad I didn't get a say. 


It's my first day on the job, and a phoenix's guardian just ate it on the island's remote steppes, dozens of miles from the city. Well, murdered, by a rare, powerful, and scary form of god-killing magic, to be exact. And the phoenix just left with the body. 

Not a problem, you say? I beg to differ. Turns out, the phoenix transports all the island's dead bodies and souls to the afterlife. And when the phoenix leaves, the bodies don't just start piling up. They start coming back from the dead. And let's just say dead people don't come back good as new. 

Which means that, if I don't solve this thing quick, a certain rain goddess might turn the entire island to ash before the reborn army becomes too big to contain...


My Thoughts:


I wasn't sure how this book would go. The first book in the series started off slow and then got better towards the middle. Usually when that happens, book 2 can go either way... either really good or fall very short. This one stepped it up a notch. I was actually drawn into the story right away. I didn't have to push thru any slow spots this time. I love the MC. She is sassy and rebellious. Then again, she really has nothing to lose as she has a soul-binding contract. I love that even when Eden is faced with a problem that will end badly no matter what she does, she finds a workable solution. Of course, pitting a vampire against a goddess could be hazardous to your health. I can't wait to see what mess she gets into next!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment